Prior to getting married, I spent several summers in southern Africa and ended up sleeping and traveling in some remote areas with our team. This salad was originally made by our contacts there while we were tent-camping near a village in Botswana. I captured the recipe in my journal one summer, and it has stayed in our kitchen ever since.
When all the ingredients were thrown into the bowl, it was originally mixed by hand! So, if you want an authentic African bush experience, have your kids help do the mixing.
- 35 oz. (1 ½ cans) pineapple chunks (juice reserved)
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 ½ large cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 1 block sharp Cheddar cheese, cut into chunks
- 3 tomatoes, chunked
- ½ large yellow onion, cut
- 2 TBLspn fresh mint—finely chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper/salt to taste
- Reserved pineapple juice
- Greek/Italian salad dressing (or garlic & herb)
- Mix all together in a large bowl. Best if served after chilled a few hours.