This homemade bread with all it’s spices packs a powerful punch of nutrients and smells heavenly when it’s done.
The amaranth in the recipe includes among it’s benefits the amino acids lysine and methionine, elements largely absent in most other flours. High in fiber and rich in iron, it contains as much as 16 percent protein.
~Richard Langer, The Bread Machine Bakery Book
My recipe is specifically for a 1-lb bread machine, so if you make it by hand, you may have to adjust.
Please be sure to comment below if you make any variations that would be helpful for our readers!
- 1 cup milk or soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup semolina flour
- ½ cup amaranth flour
- ½ cup raw oats (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- Pour all liquid ingredients into your bread pan (unless your machine instructions call for starting with the yeast).
- Give them a quick mix to incorporate the egg and butter.
- Measure in the flours and the oatmeal.
- Lastly, add the spices, salt and yeast.
- Use a quick bake cycle for this bread.
- Upon completion, promptly remove from pan and cool on rack.