Having lived in southern Italy for three years, we got super spoiled by their delicious hand-tossed pizzas. The Italians make everything from scratch–the sauce, the dough, and yes, even the mozzarella cheese in many places. Once I learned that I could make the sauce and dough from just a few ingredients, I was hooked!
(But we’ll leave the home-made cheese part to the Italians!)
Step 1: Prepare the Dough.
We use a whole wheat pizza dough recipe that I make in my bread machine. Super easy with the machine, but does take some planning ahead. Each 1 lb of dough takes about 2 hours to make in the machine. 1 lb of pizza dough makes 1 14-inch pizza crust. So, we often make two.
- ¾ cup water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add ingredients to your bread pan according to your machine's instructions.
- (We add all of our ingredients into the same container, starting with the wet ingredients first, in the order listed above.)
- Select Dough setting and press Start.
- When machine finishes, remove bread pan and turn out dough onto floured surface.
- (If you are not eating right away, you can also put dough into a greased bowl, cover tightly, and place in fridge for several hours.)
- Allow dough to rest while you preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease pizza pan or cookie sheet.
- With your hands, gently stretch and press dough out to fit pan or pizza stone.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Spread on some healthy pizza sauce (see our recipe here).
- Top with your favorite ingredients.
- Follow it all up with some mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve hot!
Step 2: Prepare the Sauce
Grab our recipe for Simply Amazing Pizza Sauce.