For the first several years of our marriage, I was on the hunt for the perfect steak marinade. My husband (probably like yours) loves his steak. So though we don’t do red meat a ton, we do have an occasional steak night.
Bottled sauces, marinades, and dressings are often packed with extra sodium and sugars, not to mention any artificial ingredients and preservatives. So, I always like to make my own.
I think I tried three or four different steak marinade recipes before I stumbled upon the final combination that made our number one spot. We have affectionately named it the “marriage-mender steak marinade” because we have joked around, saying that it’s so good, it could fix any of your marriage troubles. Ha!
It’s best to make this up the night before you cook the steaks and marinate them overnight in the fridge. The longer you marinate, the more delicious flavor they will have.
- ⅓ Cup wine vinegar (red or white will work)
- ¼ Cup Ketchup
- 2 TBLspn extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBlspn soy sauce
- 1 TBlspn Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tspn dijon mustard
- ½ tspn coarse salt
- ¼ tspn freshly ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Put thawed steaks in a ziploc bag. Pour in sauce.
- Seal bag tightly and lay it flat in a shallow pan/dish.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or more.
- Grill steaks and enter red-meat heaven! 🙂