What is Natural Detox?
Our bodies have detoxifying mechanisms and processes that are working all the time to keep us functioning well. The liver, lymphatic system, adrenal glands, and colon (to name a few) are constantly working to filter out toxins and built-up waste. This is by design.
Think of this filtering and waste system as a garbage collector. On a regular basis, and often behind the scenes, the garbage man comes to collect the waste that has built up. However, have you had a time when the garbage man didn’t come or got lazy with how he picked it up? Or you had so much “build up” that it overflowed into your beautiful yard?
Detoxification breakdown can happen in our bodies (and with our kids) as well.
Serious problems can occur when either:
- A) Our organs and cells are not getting the nutrition they need to function well (they get lazy in their waste management)
- B) When there is a toxic overload in our system, and our body just can’t keep up.
“We are conducting a vast toxicologic experiment in our society, in which our children and our children’s children are the experimental subjects.” ~ pediatrician Herbert L. Needleman
What Makes Our Kids So Vulnerable?
We live in a very toxic world. The sheer number of chemicals in our environment today is enough to warrant a parent’s concern.
Did You Know..?
- Of the 80,000 chemicals registered with the EPA, less than 20% are tested for toxicity. (U.S. EPA, New Chemicals Program; Landrigan, P.J., et al, (2006).)
- According to the EPA, organic pollutants are 2 to 5 times higher inside our homes than outside.
- More than 90% of poison exposures occur in the home. (National Center for Injury Prevention & Control)
This over-exposure to toxins is then compounded by how our kids’ bodies metabolize and develop. These developmental facts cause our kids to be even more vulnerable than we are as adults and increase their need for natural detox support:
- Pound for pound of body weight, children drink more water, breathe more air, and eat more food than adults.
- Children’s metabolic pathways are immature, especially in the first few months after birth. Their ability to detoxify these chemicals is different from adults.
- Children have faster metabolisms. Dr. Philip Landrigan states that, “Children absorb a greater proportion of many substances from the intestinal tract or lung. For example, children take up approximately half of the lead that they swallow while adults absorb only about one-tenth.” (PDB.org, Trade Secrets: A Moyers Report, 2001).
“A Toxic Brew”, video documentary
Data Related to Typical Household Cleaners (PDF file)–An in-depth resource on how typical household cleaners are affecting the health of our kids. If you have children in your home, this is a must-read so you can know better how to protect your kids.