I stumbled upon this pizza rice creation one evening when the original plan was to have homemade pizza, but I had failed to make the pizza dough ahead of time. And I didn’t have an extra 2 hours at that point. My kids were hungry!
So, upon further examination of all the ingredients that I had, I thought, “hey! I can serve this over rice instead!”
I’m sure I’m not the first person to have thought of this, but I’d at least like to think so for a while. 🙂 The impromptu meal turned out fabulous and was a big hit with the kids! Since that time, I have made it again…quite intentionally.
Pizza rice is a great gluten-free pizza alternative and great for “pizza in a pinch,” when you don’t have time to put together that amazing crust.
- Simply Amazing Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup Short Grain Brown Rice
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pizza toppings of your choice, chopped
- Chop up your pizza ingredients and set aside in a bowl. (We used bell pepper and mushrooms, but it can be whatever you like.)
- Put brown rice and 3 cups of water in a saucepan. Heat to boiling. Turn heat down to medium and simmer, covered, until all water has been absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the Simply Amazing Pizza Sauce according to directions. When you add in the tomatoes, add in your other pizza ingredients.
- Simmer sauce on stove until the rice is done.
- Serve the rice and sauce, top with mozzarella cheese, and gobble up!