This recipe for roasted balsamic strawberries is so easy to prepare and tastes amazing. There are a few strong contrasting flavors here: the sweetness of the strawberries and the tartness of the balsamic vinegar. But your taste buds will love it!
I got the idea for this dessert straight out of northern Tuscany from a wonderful Italian cookbook, “The Italian Mama’s Kitchen.”
When I first made this, I wondered how it would end up tasting (and if our kids would like it). The balsamic vinegar smells strong when roasting in the oven. However, when we put this together with homemade vanilla ice cream, we were sold!
The taste is amazingly awesome! I like how there is not much sugar in this recipe because the strawberries provide most of the sweetness.
- 6 cups fresh ripe strawberries
- ¼ cup good-quality balsamic vinegar (For best flavor, choose one imported from Italy.)
- 1 TBLspn super fine sugar (We use Sucanat sweetener.)
- Homemade vanilla ice cream or fresh whipping cream (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim and wash strawberries. Cut very large ones in half.
- Spread strawberries in one layer on a roasting pan.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top.
- Sprinkle sugar over strawberries.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with choice of cream and enjoy!