Pizza sauce is not hard to make, and the taste is well worth the extra minutes!
This is our easiest and tastiest recipe–indeed almost identical to the ones you would get in southern Italy.
Do this step during the last hour of your pizza dough’s cycle in the machine.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can whole peeled plum tomatoes (2 pounds)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet on medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Crush tomatoes in your hand and add them to pan (with all the juices from can)
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 40 minutes, until thickened.
- Spread chunky sauce over pizza dough and add your other toppings!