This basic yellow cake recipe takes only a few extra minutes to prepare, compared to the Pillsbury boxed version you might get at the store. The health benefits of making your own cake from scratch though far outweigh those precious extra minutes. With our version, you will get over 200 grams less sodium per serving and no added preservatives or artificial ingredients.
If you’re still new to cooking, I highly recommend Better Homes & Gardens’ checkered cookbook as part of your recipe book collection. This was my very first cookbook (because my mom relied on this for many years in her own kitchen), and it comes packed with so many basic, staple recipes for every American kitchen.
It’s from the 1989 version of the book that I get my basic yellow cake recipe. Top it off with our homemade butter cream icing, and you will be begging for seconds!
- 3 Cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 TBLspn baking powder
- 1½ Cup 2% milk
- ½ Cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ tspns pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour either 1 13x9" pan, 2 9" round pans, or 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add milk, butter and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add eggs last and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan(s).
- Bake according to your pan's size as follows (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean): 13x9" pan for 30-35 minutes, 2 9" pans for 25-30 minutes, cupcakes for 20-25 minutes