If you like the idea of taco salads, then you have to try out our homemade version! I received this recipe from a good friend and made only a few changes. It is quick to make and full of flavor!
The meat and bean sauce that you make for it doubles as the salad dressing. Simply toss it all together, add some tortilla chips, and you’ve got a full meal!
- 1 lb diced cooked chicken or lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 Tablespoons ketchup
- 6 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 head of leaf lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green onion (scallions), chopped
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Baked tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
- Cook meat & drain well. (Be sure chicken is diced.)
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and kidney beans to the pan. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour over meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low heat to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Chill, 30 min to 1 hour.
- Just before serving, combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss in meat mixture.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips, if desired.